[texbirds] Harris County - Glaucous and Thayer's Gull

  • From: C-T Lee <cintylee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 19:50:52 -0500

Hi there, had sent out a note from my iphone earlier in the day, but not
sure if it went through. In any case, here's a 2nd try.
One each of first year Glaucous and Thayer's Gull in the large gull flock
in the Houston Ship Channel early this morning. From Houston, take I-10
east. Just before Baytown, get off on Monmouth.  Turn right, then turn
immediately left onto Market St.  The gulls were on a sand spit that is
viewable from the bridge, about 500 m after you turn on to Market St.  You
have to look out into the channel (look south-southwest). A scope is
essential, and early morning is best so the heatwaves don't complicate your
view.  I am assuming the Glaucous Gull is the same one I had here a couple
months ago.  There were a number of Lesser Black-backed Gulls as well.

At noon, many of the gulls had moved onto the barges on both sides of the
ship channel viewed from the intersection of Monmouth and Market. One has
to look through the McDonough Marine Services yard from your vantage point
along the road.

C-T Lee
Houston