[texbirds] Hagerman NWR on Sunday

  • From: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 21:19:34 -0700

The cool cloudy (and even rainy) weather in North Texas provided a
great opportunity to visit Hagerman NWR today.  My list topped out at
55 species with the following notable sitings:

At Egret Pad:

1 Black-bellied Whistling Duck (http://tinyurl.com/q2u6bw5)
-- my first sighting of this species at Hagerman

2 Willets (http://tinyurl.com/pc748ss)
-- another first sighting for me at Hagerman

2 Common Gallinules

At the marsh above the low water crossing on Refuge Road:

4 Western Sandpipers

3 Least Sandpipers

1 Pectoral Sandpiper

7 Stilt Sandpipers (http://tinyurl.com/nkpjoan)

2 Tricolored Herons (http://tinyurl.com/n9qh92q)
-- I was able to watch one of them dance and dart while catching minnows

Regards,
Mike Cameron
Wylie, TX (Dallas area)