[texbirds] Gulls in Brownsville and Boca Chica

  • From: Sheridan Coffey <sngcanary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 19:33:52 -0600

Dear all,
Willie Sekula, Martin Reid and I did some gulling today at the Brownville
Landfill and on the beach at Boca Chica. The landfill was packed with gulls.
Besides the thousands of Laughing Gulls, we had over 500 Herring Gulls, over
1000 Ring-billed Gulls, seven Lesser Black-backed Gulls, a Nelson's Gull and a
very interesting hybrid that was probably a Herring/Lesser Black-back. Martin
photographed a stunning Krider's Red-tail.

We then went to Boca Chica to see if we could find the Black-legged Kittiwake.
We had not gone far down the beach when Willie spotted a bird sitting on the
beach, which turned out to be a Pomarine Jaeger. We did get photos. We also saw
a dead Green Turtle on the beach.

When we got to the jetty, Martin quickly spotted the kittiwake, sitting about
75 yards down the jetty. There was a Common Loon swimming straight out.

Sheridan Coffey
San Antonio

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at