[texbirds] Guling today 2/18/15

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "DHanson139@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 17:33:48 -0500

literally just got home from a gulling trip to Thompson fish camp and
Tri-City Beach Rd in Baytown. There was nothing to report at Thompson's today
except the usual gulls this time of year.

AT the end of the dead end though I had pretty good luck. There were not a
large numbers of gulls sitting on the water today compared to a lot of days
but  there were two pretty good ones. There were also two Lesser
Black-backed Gulls,  one each first cycle and second cycle. Then in flew a nice
pale
colored gull  that I am calling Thayer's but I am not positive it was not a
Kumlein's/Iceland  Gull. Unfortunately the gulls were a little jumpy today
and they flew before I  could get pictures. Very pale wings and I believe it
was a first cycle bird. Not  long before % was a California Gull.  This bird
also flew before shots were  taken. Slightly darker matle, smaller rounder
head a little larger that the  Ring-bills and slightly smaller than the
Herring Gulls. I could clearly see the  this black ring around the bill and a
red
spot on the tip. All these were on the  Harris Co side and as a matter of
fact there were really bad heat waves today  making looking across very
difficult.

Not one of these birds sat long enough to get good pictures. I did take a
few but they were not coming out very well. If I got any I will post them
later.

David  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
TOS Member
Texas Master  Naturalist
FeatherFest 2015 Birding Program  Leader
dhanson139@xxxxxxx