[texbirds] Guadalupe River Delta - McFaddin Family Ranches CBC

  • From: Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:47:27 -0600

The Delta CBC was run on 20 December 2012.  35 mph winds blew all day across an
area that was very dry due to an on-going drought.

The water in the bays were "blown out" with hundreds of acres of exposed bay
bottoms.  The marshes were barren from high salinity, and the woods were
essentially "dead" to birds before the winds, and the wind made finding what
little that was there very challenging.

Not a rosy picture.  However, we had a very dedicated group of about 60 birders
which spent the day in the wind.  We managed to report a respectable 210
species which included 11 warbler species.

The rarer species reported were Whooping Crane, Rough-legged Hawk, Swainson's
Hawk, Great Black-backed Gull, Acadian Flycatcher, Canada Warbler, and Rusty
Blackbird.

It is almost Christmas.  Hope all of you are spending time with family and
having a special holidays.

Brent Ortego
Victoria, TX