[texbirds] Guadalupe Delta and Goose Island--what a day!

  • From: Sean Paul Kelley <spkelley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 17:04:21 -0600

Today, before 330 when the cold front rolled into the area around the
Guadalupe Delta was absolutely fantastic for birding. We turned down river
road heading to the delta and the first thing we saw were:
7 Bronzed Cowbirds
2 Yellow-Rumped Warblers
3 Kingbirds, which species I do not know, I will post photos later
7 Northern Cardinals
1 White-tailed Kite
1 Prairie Falcon
2 Red-tailed Hawks
11 Black Vutlures
1 Yellow Warbler, deep in the brush and palms along the river bank
1 Orange-crowned Warbler
2 Ladderbacked Woodpeckers
5 Red-bellied Woodpeckers
1 Osprey
1 Cooper's Hawk
1 Harris' Hawk

Then we parked and walked/waded out into the GRD-WMA

23 White Ibises
7 Glossy Ibises
3 Snowy Egrets
1 Reddish Egret
1 Great Blue Heron
27 Redheads
30+ Coots
1 Sora
1 Wilson's Snipe

Various and sundry other unidentifiable birds like plovers/sandpipers etc .
. .

Then we drove back towards Rockport, in a field between Tivoli and the turn
off road to the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge we saw:

140ish Sandhill Cranes. A huge and divine flock of birds!!!!!!

Absolutely fantastic!

Shortly down the road we then saw:

1 Norther Harrier

And then a little further:

1 Osprey

We drove on to Goose Island State Park, went to the Big Tree and in and
around the pond there we saw

5 Whooping Cranes (one juvenile)
3 Cattle Egrets
3 White Pelicans
1 Snow Egret
Multiple ducks unidentifiable.
4 Sandhill Cranes
1 Great Blue Heron
1 Reddish Egret

Dozens of Brown-headed Cowbirds mixed in with a huge flock of Red-winged
Blackbirds and Boat-tailed and Great-tailed Grackles.

Plus, a long pier full of various gulls and pelicans and
sandpiper/plover-types.

A Tern I have no yet identified, a small one.

Six Skimmers of which species I have yet to identify.

I will post the photos soon and email the link in a subsequent email. As
always, please do not hesitate to make corrects on my IDs. I am definitely
fallible.

Regards,

Sean Paul Kelley
Central San Antonio