[texbirds] Re: Guadalupe Delta CBC Needs

  • From: Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dennis shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>, texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 08:37:39 -0600

I get so used to the CBC dates posted on the Houston Audubon site, I don't
bother posting dates.  I guess I should.  Thursday, 19 December.

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 08:27:26 -0600
Subject: Re: [texbirds] Guadalupe Delta CBC Needs
From: dawgler@xxxxxxxxx
To: brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx

Date?
Thanks
Dennis

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nasty weather to be thinking about going birding.  I am still recruiting
birders for a Great CBC

Guadalupe River Delta - McFaddin Family Ranches contains the last 15 miles of
the Guadalupe River before it enters San Antonio Bay.  This CBC hopes to be
Number One and has placed in the top 5 nationally most years.  We have lots of
riparian woodlands, wetlands and grasslands to bird on mostly private property.

The Womack Ranches are two of the larger private tracts we access; 11,500 acres
total.  I still need several birders to help us survey the large amount of
woodlands/grasslands/brushlands/wetlands found on the ranches.

I need a birder which is good at calling in songbirds to go with a team on a
bay boat.  They will be working the willow shorelines of the bays in the area.

I need a birder(s) to go for a ride on the river.  The ranch will provide a
boat and operator.  They will need to stop periodically to call birds to them
and also occasionally get out of the boat and bird adjoining woodlands.

We also have one section which is a combination of thornscrub ranchland and
tidal marsh.  The birders will need to spend most of the day working birds in
brushlands, but will also need to spend the windier times of the day working
marshes and bay edges.  Most of the marsh work will be from a dirt road that is
not drivable.

Brent Ortego

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department

Victoria, TX