[texbirds] Grosbeak ID help

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 15:46:04 -0700 (PDT)

I birded South Padre on Saturday morning, starting at the Convention Center and
ending at the Sheepshead lots. For the day I had 10 warbler species, a Rufous
Hummingbird  and three vireo species, plus many first-year Indigo Buntings. I
dipped on the Red-breasted Nuthatch and Black-throated Blue Warbler seen
earlier this week but I did see a grosbeak at the Convention Center that
intrigued me. At first I identified the bird as a female Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, but in examining my photos later I noticed the bird had a
solidly-colored cinnamon-orange underside and a dark upper beak.The bird also
did not have the prominent breast stripes of the Rose-breasted species.

I have never seen a Black-headed Grosbeak, so I have no experience in
ID'ing this species. I would appreciate hearing off-line from anyone who has an
opinion on this bird ID. Two photos are here, along with some other highlights
from the day:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/?saved=1

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo