[texbirds] Grimes County LTDU

  • From: Rick Laughlin <richard.laughlin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 21:55:55 -0600

RBASers and TEXBIRDers,
I was able get some pictures of the Long-tailed duck at the TMPA site in
Grimes County this past week. Link is below:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116802127291800376116/LongTailedDuckGibbonsCreekTMPA?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCP3jtJrCqPK7xQE&feat=directlink

I've been introducing this duck as a female, but after some high quality
pics from AD Patton and a series of conversations between several
knowledgeable folks, we feel comfortable calling this bird being a first
year male based on the color on the middle of the bill and the coloring on
the back. I think the original call at last week's CBC was first year male,
but I was too excited to listen to anything said beyond "long-tailed duck".

I'd like to take a moment to thank the Gibbons Creek Reservoir TMPA staff
for allowing access to the property and escorting us to this unusual
visitor. With luck, the duck will remain for a time longer and schedules
will allow for further sightings.

Good birds,

Rick Laughlin
Rio Brazos Audubon