[texbirds] Green Kingfisher at Matagorda County Birding Nature Center

  • From: Bob and Ruth Friedrichs <twofried@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 21:41:45 -0600

Texbirders:

Ron Weeks and I met at the Matagorda Birding Nature Center near Bay City this
morning to try to locate the previously reported Green Kingfisher.  We
successfully found the bird when a small boat came down river and flushed the
kingfisher while we were watching from the viewing area that overlooks the
Colorado River.  (The bird had previously been reported at the pond with the
water feature and near the camp host.  It must range between the river,
adjacent streams and the ponds.)

The Matagorda Birding Nature Center is a very nice 34 acre property with lots
of variety and some good birds.  It borders the Colorado River on the east and
there are wooded and riparian areas, grassy areas, 4 ponds and a water feature,
feeders and well maintained trails and pedestrian bridges.  In addition to the
Green Kingfisher, we saw 52 species this morning including a probable
Black-headed Grosbeak, a singing Hermit Thrush, Wood Ducks, Couch's Kingbird,
Wilson's Warbler and lots or Cedar Waxwings.  It is definitely worth a visit.

In addition to the singing Hermit Thrush, evidence of Spring included a
complete lack of any kind of goose or Sandhills Cranes, either flying over the
Nature Center or driving between Bay City and Palacios.

Good birding,
Bob Friedrichs
Palacios/Houston

Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at