[texbirds] Greater Scaup in Lubbock County

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 20:39:14 -0500

Greetings,
Steve Collins and I did some county birding yesterday morning. We initially
set out to look for early passerines but with only two Willow Flycatchers
at Buffalo Springs lake and not much else, we decided to hit up some of the
playas in northeast Lubbock County.

The first Playa we came across made up for our slow morning. My eye was
instantly drawn to a scaup swimming on the far end of the playa. We both
thought it looked really good for Greater. Got the scope on it and Steve
got some photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67238923@N03/9431087692/).
There appears to be only one other record of Greater Scaup in August on
eBird. Are there other records in Texas for this species?
Also at the playa were several Cinnamon Teal and Blue-winged Teal a Redhead
and a Lesser Scaup (also pretty rare fore August).

Other playas held some Baird's Sandpipers, Upland Sandpiper (flyover...
sort of), Wilson's Phalarope, White-faced Ibis and other typical early
August birds.

A pretty good day.

Cameron Carver
Lubbock, TX