[texbirds] Greater Pewee at Bear Creek Park today and Rufous Hummingbird at Gulf Coast Bird Observatory

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 21:14:23 -0500

Doug Ghrist and I had the Greater Pewee in the woods between restrooms 8
and 9 at Bear Creek Park today, around 3 pm. It was sitting quietly and
doing some flycatching, not vocalizing. The bird was with a mixed flock of
Pine Warblers, Carolina Chickadees, Eastern Bluebirds, and Downy and
Red-bellied Woodpeckers. For those not familiar with the park, it's a good
idea to stop by the Park Office, as they can tell you where these restrooms
are located. It's a big place and one can spend a lot of time driving
around looking for them.
We also had a Rufous Hummingbird that has been hanging around the Gulf
Coast Bird Observatory grounds in Lake Jackson. Thanks to the staff there
for giving us directions to the birds. We saw the Indigo Bunting and Blue
Grosbeak flock, but could not locate the Lazuli Bunting.

Peter Barnes,
Tyler