[texbirds] Greater Pewee - Bear Creek Park Houston 10/6 pm

  • From: Janet Rathjen <j.rathjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 19:42:56 -0700 (PDT)

This evening Stephan Lorenz, Kendra Kocab and I refound the Greater Pewee in
the
field behind the back end of the Sullin's Way Loop.  It came in to the tape of
it's call.  Fortunately it called back and we were able to track it for a while
by following it's call.  John Berner made it over to see the bird then Adam
Wood
made it back in time to see it before it bedded down for the evening.

Just as a warning to those of you chasing the Pewee tomorrow, we also found an
Olive-sided Flycatcher in the same area as the Pewee.  The Olive-sided
Flycatcher can show a somewhat crested appearance, but has a very vested look
and has a dark lower mandible with just a little orange at the base of the
lower
mandible.   The Pewee has a completely orange lower mandible.  So be sure to
look carefully at the bill before making an identification on these birds.
Olive-sided Flycatcher also requires notes when you enter it into ebird right
now.

The bird has been ranging over most of the Sullin's Way loop, including near
the
bathrooms and along the outer loop closer to the front, so don't give up if you
don't find it right away.  Also, it may come in without calling, so don't
assume
you will hear it.  The best times it the last two days seems to be mid-morning
and late evening.

Good Birding!

Janet Rathjen