[texbirds] Great birds at Boot Canyon today

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 17:33:11 -0500

Ross Rickett, Janet Cook and I hiked up to Boot Canyon today. All the best
birds were on the trail between the horse corral and the trail about 400
yards upstream. We had the male Flame-colored Tanager, Painted Redstart
that was super cooperative, a Dusky-capped Flycatcher, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, Cordilleran Flycatcher, 2 Blue-throated Hummingbirds. A second
Dusky-capped Flycatcher was on the Pinnacles Trail 1.5 miles south of the
horse corral.
Yesterday, we had two Crissal Thrashers on the Laguna Meadow Trail, not far
above the intersection with the Chisos Basin Trail, a Varied Bunting and a
Blue-throated Hummingbird at the sewage treatment plant below the Chisos
campground. At Rio Grande Village, we had a Common Black Hawk and Gray
Hawk, and 5 Phainopeplas.

Peter Barnes
Tyler