[texbirds] Great Black-backed Gull 1cy - Follet’s Island UTC December 3, 2012

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 23:34:12 -0500 (EST)

It was time today for routine checking the shore between Quintana and East
Beach for terns. There were a few ‘patches’ of terns and gulls; all
expected  species. But one gull was extra - Great Black-backed Gull 1cy. Must
be a
male as  Herrings look dwarfed next to it; LAGU and RBGU like miniatures.
He was ruling  all of them. It was early morning not the best light on the
shore but I tried to  cut the angle and not get all shots back lighted. (Of
course  weather  forecast was wrong - great day there)

_http://www.pbase.com/image/147681371_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147681371)

Spread wings
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147681363_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147681363)

Headshot
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147681374_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147681374)

Spread tail and tertials
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147681375_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147681375)

20 more images here:
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/great_blackbacked_gull_1cy__follets_island_utc_dec
ember_3_2012_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/great_blackbacked_gull_1cy__follets_island_utc_december_3_2012)

In Quintana not even one human soul (except one wintering on the beach in
broken car), not many more on other beaches. Number of birds small but there
is  always something interesting; e.g. many oystercatchers  here and there
in  small groups (1-3).

Checking eBird there is no entered GBBG records on this side of Gulf in
November so this might be a first one going west.

BTW I was checking my December tern data from last few years and found that
 I have Black Tern on December 3 last year. I see that there is only one
historical record in Texas (inland) - none on UTC (same in ‘Birdlife in UTC‘
-  cut off is in November). Just curious if somebody saw BLTE in Texas
during  December in the past.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_