[texbirds] Gray-breasted Martin (or Grey-breasted)

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:43:15 -0500

Matt and all:  Nice post on the hummer dilemma...I'll pass on getting
involved  on that, as if I could with any authority.
.
  That said your anlaogy with the martin above is dead on.  Last
winter there were  Dec. birds reported from the coast and south Texas
(even Palmetto SP in Central Texas) that I since wondered about.
Nearly always these birds are reported as Purples, (likely a few are
actually Rough-wingeds) and the best odds are that they were usually
ID'ed correctly, but given the needle in the haystack scenerio you
mentioned,.I just figure it is worth the time and effort to ensure
these are indeed Purples and not Gray-breasteds in that short window
of time (Dec. 1- Jan.31) we have to pick thru far less straw for
reverse migrants.
  It has been a good while since I have heard the buggers, but do
recall them sounding different though similar to Purples. Perhaps it
is worth studying vocalizations again to nail that difference down as
we head out for various CBC and winter excursions. Assuming that
difference is something that our ears can retain.

  I suppose that there is a one in billion chance of a Sinaloa Martin
(west) or maybe one in two billion chance of a Cuban Martin (coast).
:-)  Martins are a can of worms but worth the effort in the depth of
our winter's mere two months here of mostly martin free skies..
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas