[texbirds] Gray Vireo, Seminole Canyon

  • From: Roger Shaw <roger.w.shaw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 07:36:12 -0600

I found a GRAY VIREO at Seminole Canyon SP, Val Verde Co. on Sat. morning.
On the short birding trail near the RV campground, I heard it singing its
burry robin-like song, then got great looks at it. Most striking was the
long tail that was constantly flicked, like a big gnatcatcher. More notes
on eBird. Nice late record!
Lots of good sparrow-ing on the long Canyon Rim trail, including quite a
few CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS. Handful of Brewer's as well. I didn't realize
that Clay-colored is unusual for that area, I have some photos that I'll
put on eBird later.

The canyon floor is nearly full of water, and is full of ducks, especially
huge numbers of Green-winged Teal.

The day before, I had one single Ring-billed Gull at Cook's Slough in
Uvalde, which I suppose is unusual.

Lots of good birding all across the state!
Roger Shaw
roger.w.shaw@xxxxxxxxx
Austin, TX