[texbirds] Gray Hawks, Tyrannulets, White-throated Sparrow & more, photos

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 10:23:47 -0800 (PST)

I had trouble with Yahoo mail yesterday so I am a bit late with this post. I
birded Estero Llano Grande State Park on Sunday, had great birding on Monday at
Anzalduas County Park and visited Laguna Atascosa NWR (minus the Bayside Loop)
on Tuesday. The cold weather that rolled in this week signaled the start of
great winter birding in the Valley.

Here are the highlights. I birded Anzalduas with Mary Gustafson, Dottie
Lamolinara and Bill Supulski. The action was fast and furious at 8:30 am to 9
am; our combined highlight sightings are below.

Estero -- Winter Wren (heard only by the park office), Black and Yellow-crowned
Night Herons, Yellow-rumped Warblers (plentiful), Orange-crowned Warblers (also
many), Anhinga, White-eyed Vireo, Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

Anzalduas -- Gray Hawk (2), Broad-winged Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Osprey (2),
Northern Beardless Tyrannulet (2+), Chipping Sparrow, Eastern Screech Owl, Pine
Warbler (2), Blue-headed Vireo, Black-throated Gray Warbler, Yellow-throated
Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler (many), Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, Brown Pelican.

Laguna Atascosa -- White-tailed Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Harris's Hawk (4),
Northern Harrier, Crested Caracara (2), American Kestrel (3), Osprey,
White-throated Sparrow, Altamira Orioles (2), Green Jays (6+).

Photo highlights are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/sets/72157638997525185/

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo