[texbirds] Granger Mountain Plovers11/25/13

  • From: Tim Fennell <tfennell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 18:00:48 -0800 (PST)

Texbirders,
In case anybody is going to look for Mountain Plovers around Granger over
Thanksgiving, I found them at two locations on a soggy, long-way home from work
this evening. Two birds were foraging in the field SW of the sharp-L turn on CR
360. At least 12 birds were foraging in the field NW of the CR 346/348
intersection (This flooded field, at least for today, allowed uncommon looks at
the plovers-they were actually foraging on what goes for mudflats in the ag
fields!).

A Burrowing Owl was on CR 352 and the lake itself had very few waterfowl (but
did have two distant swallows foraging low over the water-I expected Cave but
they appeared to be Tree although I wouldn't swear to it).

Cheers,
Tim Fennell
Round Rock, TX (15 miles north of Austin)
Travis Audubon Society