[texbirds] Granger Lake (particularly Pecan Grove WMA) on 12/1/12 - Pileated Woodpecker, Say's Phoebe, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Fox Sparrow

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 09:47:50 -0800 (PST)

Veena Mohan and I spent just under 2 hours hiking along the San Gabriel River
(Pecan Grove WMA) below the Granger Lake dam in Williamson Co. on 12/1/12.
Despite the warm afternoon and strong south wind, we came across several
mixed-species groups of songbirds.  Highlights were a heard-only Pileated
Woodpecker on the south side of the river, a Say's Phoebe in the grasslands
between the entrance road and dam, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Brown Creeper,
Golden-crowned Kinglets, and my first Fox Sparrow of the season, among others.
We did take a stab at trying to find the Whooping Cranes at Friendship Park,
but none were immediately visible.

Mallard  2
Great Blue Heron  1
Black Vulture  3
Turkey Vulture  19
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2  including dark phase
Mourning Dove  5
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1     Loud "kuk kuk..." call heard on south side of river
Crested Caracara  1
American Kestrel  2
Eastern Phoebe  3
Say's Phoebe  1
Blue-headed Vireo  1
American Crow  11
Carolina Chickadee  3
Tufted x Black-crested Titmouse (hybrid)  3
Red-breasted Nuthatch  4
Brown Creeper  1
House Wren  1
Bewick's Wren  1