[texbirds] Granger Lake - Nice morning

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds Posting Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:44:29 -0500

I visited several areas around the lake including the Sore Finger cove, CR 352
(and loop), Friendship Park, etc.  Nice to have access to some of these spots
after a few weeks of closure.  Nothing spectacular today but several firsts of
Fall for me, including:

Gr. White-fronted Geese - flight of 24 headed NW (!?)
Burrowing Owl - our CR 356 friend is back on his pile of concrete
Sprague's Pipit - 4 in various grasslands
Vesper Sparrow - a few
Swamp Sparrow - one in switchgrass at Friendship
White-crowned Sparrow - technically just my 2nd of fall
Western Meadowlark - heard several diagnostic calls among many EAME

Also had a late Clay-colored Sparrow and hundreds of Barn Swallows in a late
foraging bout over lake and pastures.

No sign of hawk movement into the light SE winds, but there were many Turkey
Vultures struggling southward.  Plenty of kestrels and harriers now in area.

Chuck Sexton
AustinEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at