[texbirds] Granger Lake - Eagles, pipits

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds Posting Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 14:23:00 -0500

TexBirders,

France Davis and I cruised around Granger Lake (Williamson Co.) this morning
from sunrise to about noon.  With the heavy rains upstream, the lake is up
about 1 ft in elevation and there was much floating debris on the lake surface
(used by gulls, terns, and cormorants for perches).  Many large rafts of mixed
waterfowl all over the lake including hundreds of Redhead but many flights of
those were getting up and heading south.

One adult BALD EAGLE was perched in a tall tree on the lake shore west of
Friendship Park but we had a second adult elsewhere:  We were on CR 350 north
of Donohoe Creek (about 2 mi N of the lake) when we spotted an adult Bald Eagle
chasing and capturing an egret in open grassy pastureland.  We assume the egret
(probably a Great Egret) had been foraging in one of the flooded ditches or
terraces in the pasture.  The chase did not last long.  The eagle took the
egret over to the woodlands along Donohoe Creek to consume it.

Another interesting sighting was a substantial movement of SPRAGUE’S PIPITS
south- or southwest bound, over Alligator Road/CR 351 at the Williamson/Bell
County line.  I identified at least 15 to 18 by calls as they flew over us at
low elevation and saw another 8 or 10 bounding through the air, too distant to
hear calls.

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TX