[texbirds] Government Canyon Painted Buntings, etc

  • From: "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 17:32:01 -0500

TexBirders:

On Sunday, June 8, I was at Government Canyon State Natural Area
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/government-canyon participating in a
committee meeting.  Painted Buntings were active and were calling at both
the research station and at GCSNA headquarters.  While James Sheppard was
leading bird walks and I was working the "skins and skulls" table on
Migratory Birds Day we both heard a Northern Mockingbird include a Common
Pauraque call as part of its repertoire.  On Sunday a NOMO did a pauraque
call as I approached the traffic circle in front of the headquarters.  Does
this maybe imply the presence of Common Pauraques on the edge of the edge,
if not on, the Edwards Plateau?  It does argue for birders to camp at
Government Canyon when Common Pauraques are present in other parts of Bexar
County.

Thanks!

Steve

Stevan Hawkins