[texbirds] Golden-wings and more at Tyler State Park 5-7-13

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 17:05:20 -0500

Howdy All!

It was a big day at Tyler.  81 total species including 17 species of warbler.
There was Ovenbird and two Golden-winged Warblers in the fire break near the
front office.  The lake trail between the lake dam and the lakeview camping
area had Palm Warbler, Magnolia, Chestnut-sided, 4 Golden-winged, a Yellow, 5
Baltimore Oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, White-crowned Sparrow (unusual for
this park), and Blue-headed Vireo.  Almost everywhere I went today had
Blue-headed Vireo.  Down the Old Road was a Blackburnian, a Chat and a
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.  The beaver pond also had a chat and Orchard Oriole,
Mississippi Kite, and a female Wilson's that it looks like I missed putting on
my official list.  Make that 82 birds and 18 species of warbler.

I finished up at the Blackjack nature trial and ran into another Ovenbird,
Indigo and Painted Buntings and a pair of Blue Grosbeaks.  It was a very busy
day.

This Saturday, the 11th, we are celebrating Migratory Bird day here at the
park.  We are kicking off with bird walks in the morning, lunch with the birds
and some afternoon bird activities.  Save the date and join us.  The weather
looks like it shaping up to be good for numbers this weekend.

May 7, 2013
Tyler SP (PPW-E 065)
Traveling
3 miles
240 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
Comments:
Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.5.1
2 Mallard
2 Blue-winged Teal
2 Great Egret
1 Little Blue Heron
1 Green Heron
7 Black Vulture
11 Turkey Vulture
2 Mississippi Kite
1 Cooper's Hawk
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
1 Broad-winged Hawk
1 Red-tailed Hawk
6 Mourning Dove
3 Yellow-billed Cuckoo
1 Greater Roadrunner
2 Chimney Swift
6 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
5 Red-headed Woodpecker
7 Red-bellied Woodpecker
3 Downy Woodpecker
3 Pileated Woodpecker
1 Eastern Wood-Pewee
1 Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
1 Alder Flycatcher
4 Eastern Phoebe
7 Great Crested Flycatcher
3 Eastern Kingbird
3 White-eyed Vireo
6 Blue-headed Vireo
2 Philadelphia Vireo
7 Red-eyed Vireo
13 Blue Jay
8 American Crow
12 Purple Martin
1 Tree Swallow
7 Barn Swallow
2 Cliff Swallow
9 Carolina Chickadee
8 Tufted Titmouse
4 White-breasted Nuthatch
5 Brown-headed Nuthatch
11 Carolina Wren
4 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
5 Eastern Bluebird
2 Swainson's Thrush
2 American Robin
1 Gray Catbird
2 Northern Mockingbird
2 Brown Thrasher
3 Cedar Waxwing
5 Golden-winged Warbler
3 Tennessee Warbler
1 Orange-crowned Warbler
10 Nashville Warbler
1 Yellow Warbler
2 Chestnut-sided Warbler
1 Magnolia Warbler
1 Black-throated Green Warbler
1 Blackburnian Warbler
9 Pine Warbler
1 Palm Warbler
3 Black-and-white Warbler
3 American Redstart
2 Ovenbird
1 Kentucky Warbler
1 Common Yellowthroat
1 Yellow-breasted Chat
4 White-throated Sparrow
2 White-crowned Sparrow
9 Summer Tanager
20 Northern Cardinal
1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
2 Blue Grosbeak
6 Indigo Bunting
2 Painted Bunting
1 Dickcissel
3 Red-winged Blackbird
2 Common Grackle
5 Brown-headed Cowbird
2 Orchard Oriole
9 Baltimore Oriole

Good birding,

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG
Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

Tyler State Park
789 Park Rd. 16
Tyler, TX 75706

(903)597-5338
boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb>