[texbirds] Golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo's

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 22:45:30 -0400 (EDT)

Jan and I left Baytown Yesterday morning and after a couple of brief stops
in Austin headed out to Balcones Canyonland and when we got there it was
already  5 PM so we just went in and looked at the signs for information. One
trail up at  the lookout point, was according to the sign good for
Golden-cheeked Warblers so  off we went. The first 200 yds or so is pretty open
but
we had no more than got  a few yds into the wooded area when suddenly there
were two birds in the trees  in front of us. I got my glasses on it just long
enough to say that was either a  Golden-cheeked or a Black-throated Green.
Then the bird was gone. We waited but  never saw it again. Maybe 200-300 yds
down the trail we could suddenly hear one  calling. We stopped and waited
for a short time and suddenly it was in the small  tree right beside us
actively feeding away. It stayed around for 3-4 minutes and  just as suddenly
was
gone. This morning we looked for Black-capped Vireos a  couple of places
there but struck out.

We then headed this afternoon to Kerr Wildlife Management Area. We  checked
the signs and started into the area. As we got just inside into the  wooded
area we saw movement and there was a Golden-cheeked Warbler in a tree
right on the side of the road. The signs showed a good area for Black-capped
Vireos down near a shelter on the right side of the road. When we got there we
 pulled off and shut the motor down with the windows down and just
listened.  After a couple of minutes I could hear what I was pretty sure was
one
calling  maybe 50 yds from the rd. We walked tha way slowly and it loud enough
I was sure  it was one so after a short stalk suddenly it was in a bush less
that 10 feet  from me just a fussing. Turns out there were at least two and
maybe three in the  area. Jan was taking pictures of one while I was on
another one. What a way to  get our two target birds for the trip. When we went
back to the car there was  one singing across the road from the car as
well. We also heard another one a  little farther down the road into the next
pasture.

Off to Junction and Llano SP tomorrow.

Link to pictures below.
http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBNQ