[texbirds] Re: Golden cheeked warbler (Good news)

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cwebirds@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 16:29:42 -0500

This study is controversial and not everybody buys into it given how
extrapolated it was based on aerial photos of possible habitat etc ...While
it has an amazing amount of data and maybe is good with a lot of effort was
put into it, some are not sure it makes the cut. There are those that would
like to know who really backed the funding  for this it seems.   Can't say
that I agree or disagree with the report nor do I have the answers for
sure, just saying it has its critics, this I know first hand but am not
going to provide that info publicly or privately as the report may be
challenged by those far more knowledgeable than I.   This is just an FYI
If this single study, as a stand alone effort, leads toward a USFWS
de-listing, then a lot of folks may have reason be concerned.  BTW TPWD
recently held a meeting to discuss potential birds to be considered as
threatened on the state level...I am not here to share that list but it
should be made public after the report is complete and the TPW
Commissioners etc. have a chance to review  it....What the TPWD and USFWS
do are seperate issues as always...I am not sure the TPWD can add or
subtract any species from the endangered list but they can modify the lists
of SOC in the state for any flora or fauna.

Also your link does not take one to the article or the paper, but I am just
presuming the report you are referring to is the Morrison.

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist