[texbirds] Glossy Ibis at Richland Creek WMA, Freestone county, today

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 16:00:54 -0500

Ross Rickett and I birded the north unit of Richland Creek WMA this
morning. The highlight was 2 adult Glossy Ibis in full breeding plumage, in
a flock of approximately 60 Plegadis Ibis. Not many were in breeding
plumage, so they are easy to pick out, and were fairly cooperative for good
scope views and ID photos. The birds were in the first cell on the left as
you drive in, opposite Shoveler Marsh. We had 11 species of mostly expected
shorebirds (with one late Wilson's Snipe), most of which were in Shoveler
Marsh. Nice close views of White-rumped and Pectoral Sandpipers, 2 American
Golden Plovers and many Wilson's Phalaropes.
There were many lingering ducks, most of them in the cell with the Glossy
Ibis, including 2 Northern Pintails, 24 Northern Shovelers, 15 Gadwall, 1
Green-winged Teal, 6 Redheads, 2 Lesser Scaup and 2 Ruddy Ducks.

A Peregrine Falcon flew over Shoveler Marsh at about 10:30 am.

Peter Barnes,
Tyler