[texbirds] Re: Glaucus Gull

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 14:33:21 -0500

Ok, let's carry that thought forward.   I gave 4,000 photos to the Swarovski
Optik online Birding Game for their Hazel Bazemore Park hotspot (heck, many of
them were taken on the job, anyway).   So what if I upload all those images to
TOS.  Who will be responsible for them?   What do they do with them?   How do
they store them / index them, etc.?    BTW - is there such a position as TOS
Photo Editor ?

I sat in on the recent TOS Board Meeting, and like virtually every other
non-profit group that I have been affiliated with, there is a core group of
people that work their butts off to make the organization run smoothly.   I
doubt that any of the people in that meeting has the time to take on another
job within the organization.

So, even if I send 100 images, and 19 more TOS members send a similar number,
that's 2000 images to manage.   Given what we LIKE to photograph, there will be
a LOT of Green Jays, Painted Buntings, Red-tailed Hawks (both in flight and on
telephone poles), etc., etc.   How many common species like Chipping Sparrows,
Mourning Doves, etc., will be submitted?   So when our hypothetical TOS Photo
Editor needs an image of a species that is not "pretty", what are the chances
that there is one already in the files?

I am fine with getting a request for species photos, and hopefully that comes
with enough lead time for me to be able to send some up.

Clay Taylor
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 20, 2014, at 2:01 PM, "Monte" <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Can't afford them?  Unacceptable excuse.  The point is there are
> literally DOZENS of albums out there of members and friends of TOS who
> would donate pictures.  If they wait until the last minute to ask then
> that is just laziness on TOS's part.  They should have an open request
> fro submissions. Computer storage is so cheap now that to not have an
> enormous library from which to sort through is just inane.
>

>> On 1/20/2014 12:53 PM, Clay Taylor wrote:
>> ....because TOS cannot afford to pay (nor should they, IMHO) what most
>> photographers want to charge for their images.
>>
>> Personally, I am always happy to contribute bird  images, but too often the
>> request for photos arrives and I cannot break loose time in which to find
>> them in time for the submission deadline.   Heck, I barely have the time to
>> sort and file what I do shoot.
>>
>> Clay Taylor
>> Swarovski Optik N.A.
>> Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jan 20, 2014, at 1:43 PM, "Monte" <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>>  * Robert,
>>>  *    Good pic. After looking at your album I am left wondering why the
>>>    TOS books (and some others) are filled with such crappy photos?
>>>
>>> Monte Phillips
>>> Tx City
>>>
>>>  *
>>>

>>>  * /From/: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  * /To/: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  * /Date/: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:44:04 -0800 (PST)
>>>
>>> I found and photographed the Glaucous Gull at about 12:20 pm today at Boca
>>> Chica. I scoured both sides of the river but could not come up with the
>>> Little
>>> Gull. There were hundreds of gulls, terns, sandpipers, pelicans and other