[texbirds] Galveston to Quintana 2/19 - Rough Legged Hawk, Fulvous Whistling Ducks, Wilson's Plovers

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 18:03:39 -0600

As reported earlier the Rough Legged Hawk is still hanging around the area
where it was initially found a few days ago. It was easy to see early in
the day but once it got done hunting and went down into the fields I never
saw it again in a couple of short searches through noon.
Great day for plovers and shorebirds at various spots. Otherwise not all
that much bird activity today but it was a beautiful day to be out and a
few spots had some good numbers. Highlights are below.

Fulvous Whistling Duck - 45 off the Quintana Jetty, given the size of the
flock and location I imagine these are returning migrants

American Wigeon - Present at most sites, best concentration was ~ 60 on 7
1/2 mile Road
Green Winged Teal - Present at most sites, best concentration was ~ 150 on
Stewart Road
Redhead - roughly 1500 for the day, best groupings were close to Surfside
Ring Necked Duck - hadn't been seeing too many this winter, roughly 50 today

Eared Grebe - 1 Quintana

Snowy Plover ~ 15 at the Quintana Spoil Site, that location has great
mudflats and a few hundred shorebirds right now as water levels drop.
Wilson's Plover - 4 at their favorite spot on Bay Ave.
Semipalmated Plover - 140 at their favorite spot on Bay Ave, most I've seen
in a while.
Piping Plover ~ 70 for the day, best grouping was 50 or so at San Luis Pass

American Avocet - ~ 150 at San Luis Pass, ~ 500 at the Quintana Spoil Site,
~ 50 at Bay Ave.

Hundreds if not thousands of Dunlin, Western, Least, and both Dowitchers
through the day at various mudflats/wet areas.

Bonaparte's Gull - 1 Bay Ave.

Purple Martins were moving in good numbers but the other swallows seemed
deterred by the strong E-NE winds.

Horned Lark - Surfside

Good Birding,

John Tharp