[texbirds] Galveston & Quintana Area (longish)

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 20:21:28 -0500

Hi, all!

Note to self: next time stay at the La Quinta (or whichever hotel it is
that's closest to the cutover)! That's a long drive down Seawall (even
early in the morning when there's hardly any traffic)! And skip Settigast
Road - there really wasn't anything new on that route (except a Summer
Tanager on the wire), and I had to cut my time at the state park short in
order to spend quality time at Dos Vacas (providing I could find it this
time)! But Sportsman Road was good (and always is): it had good numbers of
waders, and was even able to record some White Ibis fussing with each other
and a spoonbill that was muttering to himself as he fed! I was still
surprised by the lack of Seaside Sparrows (although I may have heard one,
but wasn't sure), and only picked up two Clapper Rails, whereas last year
they were very vocal! I noticed they have No Parking signs down at the end
now; last year I was able to park myself there predawn and watch stuff wake
up! (Maybe that's why they put those signs up.) Some Marbled Godwits were
nice to see, and picked up Reddish Egret for the trip here, as hoped.

Well, I lied a little: as I look at my list, Settigast did have the day's
only Sedge Wren, Bank Swallow, and Least Tern (along with someone's pet
Helmeted Guineafowl J)! And while it wasn't the only White-tailed Kite, a
handsome bird posed for me at the end of the road!

As expected, Lafitte's Cove was the best place, even though it was rather
quiet; a rail did a deep double note that I assume was King in this fresh
water stuff, and a little White-eyed Vireo greeted me before the boardwalk.
Blue-winged Teal monopolized the ponds, and the Narrowmouth Toads were
replaced by something else I didn't recognize (they had all moved over to
Brazoria NWR. J). A pair of Orchard Orioles sat up nicely, along with a
female Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and once again the Wood Thrush was singing
tentatively from the woods! As I approached the "T" in the sidewalk, I
recalled that this was where the Kentucky Warbler popped up for me last
year, and whaddaya know - in he zipped for the briefest of looks before
darting away again! Then there was a scuffle, and apparently someone
trespassed on an Ovenbird's turf, as he posed a little longer with his beak
open! The drip was really quiet (bird-wise, anyway - they were cutting up a
tree that had fallen over): another Magnolia Warbler finally showed itself,
and the Swainson's Thrush was still singing off to the side, but new for me
was a Black-and-white Warbler that came in close! Continuing on the trail I
heard Hooded Warbler and Yellow-breasted Chat, along with flyover
Dickcissels, and on the open grass trail a Baltimore Oriole came screaming
into someone's bottlebrush bush! The trail was closed after the pond
crossing due to flooding, but it was just as well as I was being eaten by
mosquitoes, despite the Off wipes.

As mentioned, just made a quick run-through of the state park, where even
before I reached the entrance kiosk there was a female Indigo Bunting and
Blue Grosbeak in the field for good comparisons! A beautiful male
Rose-breasted Grosbeak posed on a wire while I was filling out my pass, and
while pulling over about a half mile in I almost ran over a Sora that was
feeding in the grass! (The Sora fled, but the cowbird stayed put.) The
wetlands had the usual suspects, but a lone Greater Yellowlegs was good for
the day, and down at the kayak launch a nice Black-throated Green Warbler
responded to pishing! There was also a little woodlot where a male Indigo
Bunting posed.

Around 11:00 I headed out, and Joe had told me to look for a blinking yellow
light before getting to San Luis Pass, but I knew I had the wrong yellow
light when I pulled into a development with a guard shack! The kid was very
nice, but miraculously just happened to be a birder and knew exactly where
Dos Vacas was, and advised me to look for the dirt road (Seabird Drive) just
before the next blinking yellow light, and was able to find the place fine!
I was the only one there, and again you needed your Off wipes! Not
surprisingly it was rather quiet as well, but I can see the potential: they
have two drips running, and have just built an observation blind looking
into an open field. While giving each drip 15 minutes, I had a definite
Acadian Flycatcher come in, but also something that seemed to scream "Alder"
to me as it looked so similar to the Alder I had at South Padre years ago
that was so expertly discussed by so many people! But apparently it's also
a bit early (I don't know if the 23rd counts as "very late April" or not),
and the thing didn't talk, so it's gonna hafta go down as "empid sp." A
Red-eyed Vireo and a Yellowthroat came in to the more open drip, and on the
way out a Lark Sparrow flushed from the road!

It was time to head to Quintana to scout it out for tomorrow, and I thought
for sure I had gotten lost at first, but it's really one of those places
where you have to go around the block and then some (and you go through a
heavily industrialized area to boot)! But finally found the place, and a
nice man from the GCBO greeted me and signed me in, pointing out a
Swainson's Hawk that was circling overhead, and letting me know a
frigatebird had been soaring around! We couldn't refind it L, so I wiped
myself down with more Off and took off for the trail, which wasn't very long
but had several benches and drips. You could hear buntings all over, but
stuff wasn't coming out (except a grackle that attacked one of the oranges).
But while giving one of the drips a chance, what should come swinging by but
the female frigatebird!! I was thrilled!

The guy told me how to get to the "other" bird sanctuary, but I wound up in
the county park by mistake (they had a great warning sign about the
mosquitoes J), but the nice lady in the office told me how to get there; the
entrance she pointed me to looked a little worse for wear, so I went around
the block to the fence where the guy told me migrants often sit, and there
was a Bobwhite down in the grass! I found a better parking lot for the
xerescape, but like the two guys already in there, I didn't stay long due to
the skeeters!

I wanted to check out Brazoria NWR with what time I had left, so I blasted
up there, and that was a delightful place (although loaded with mossies as
well); added Yellow-crowned Night Heron to the list, and in one little
wetland had a nice selection of shorebirds including a pretty Avocet,
Semipalmated Plover and Sandpiper, a Stilt Sandpiper, a Baird's in with the
Leasts, and a big flock of Pectorals that came wheeling in and calling! I
couldn't help but wonder which part of the tour route had the Black-tailed
Godwit years ago!

It was time to head to Lake Jackson after that, but I really got lost trying
to find the Best Western (and they were so new they weren't even in the AAA
book yet)!

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Fulvous Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna bicolor

Mottled Duck Anas fulvigula

Blue-winged Teal Anas discors

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Magnificent Frigatebird Fregata magnificens

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Little Blue Heron Egretta caerulea

Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor

Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron Nyctanassa violacea

White Ibis Eudocimus albus

White-faced Ibis Plegadis chihi

Roseate Spoonbill Platalea ajaja

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Osprey Pandion haliaetus

White-tailed Kite Elanus leucurus

Swainson's Hawk Buteo swainsoni

Clapper Rail Rallus longirostris

King Rail Rallus elegans

Sora Porzana carolina

Common Gallinule Gallinula galeata

American Coot Fulica americana

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

American Avocet Recurvirostra americana

Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola

Semipalmated Plover Charadrius semipalmatus

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

Willet Tringa semipalmata

Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes

Marbled Godwit Limosa fedoa

Stilt Sandpiper Calidris himantopus

Dunlin

Baird's Sandpiper Calidris bairdii

Least Sandpiper

Pectoral Sandpiper Calidris melanotos

Semipalmated Sandpiper Calidris pusilla

Short-billed Dowitcher Limnodromus griseus

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Least Tern Sternula antillarum

Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri

Royal Tern Thalasseus maximus

Sandwich Tern Thalasseus sandvicensis

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Common Nighthawk Chordeiles minor

Chimney Swift Chaetura pelagica

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Archilochus colubris

Belted Kingfisher Megaceryle alcyon

Eastern Wood-Pewee Contopus virens

Acadian Flycatcher Empidonax virescens

Eastern Kingbird Tyrannus tyrannus

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Red-eyed Vireo Vireo olivaceus

American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos

Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis

Purple Martin Progne subis

Bank Swallow Riparia riparia

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

Sedge Wren Cistothorus platensis

Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris

Swainson's Thrush Catharus ustulatus

Wood Thrush Hylocichla mustelina

Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Ovenbird Seiurus aurocapilla

Black-and-white Warbler Mniotilta varia

Kentucky Warbler Geothlypis formosa

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

Hooded Warbler Setophaga citrina

Magnolia Warbler Setophaga magnolia

Black-throated Green Warbler Setophaga virens

Yellow-breasted Chat Icteria virens

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii

Summer Tanager Piranga rubra

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Rose-breasted Grosbeak Pheucticus ludovicianus

Blue Grosbeak Passerina caerulea

Indigo Bunting Passerina cyanea

Dickcissel Spiza americana

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Common Grackle Quiscalus quiscula

Boat-tailed Grackle Quiscalus major

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Bronzed Cowbird Molothrus aeneus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

Orchard Oriole Icterus spurius

Baltimore Oriole Icterus galbula