[texbirds] Galveston County Banded Piping Plover & Re: Smith County Piping Plover is Banded

  • From: "fernanda" <fernanda.home@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bloodsworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 21:30:19 -0500

You can report your sighting and attach your photo to the USGS Bird Banding
Lab at  http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/  and they will send the information to
the researchers associated with the banding. This is valuable info for the
researchers and fun for you --they will usually give you some feedback on
when  & where and at which age the bird was banded.
Here is a summary with information about locations where piping plovers are
banded http://www.fws.gov/charleston/pdf/PIPL/pipl_color_band_flag_key.pdf.
Light blue flag: NGP US, Lower or Central Platte River.

Last Tuesday, 4/23/13, I also found a banded piping plover. The one I
spotted was at Frenchtown Road near the Bolivar Ferry landing
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tTKzZ_-vWa82O98rLJU5ehBygni3CYI-1_cQR8kziyE?feat=directlink
I reported the sighting to the USGS and a few days later the researchers
sent me a note that the bird I saw "was banded by Virginia Tech researchers
as an adult in May 2012 on the Missouri River near Yankton, SD."
Green flag: NGP US, MO River

Fernanda Araujo
Houston, TX