[texbirds] GCBO Smith Point hawk count, 4 September

  • From: Tony Leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 20:00:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all:
What a great morning!  Tons (nearly literally) of migrating passerines,
including my first hit of Baltimore Orioles this season, were cranking by upon
my arrival at the tower.  For the first time this year, I cracked the 70
species barrier, scoring 71 from the tower today.  That total included a good
variety of shorebirds, such as my first Wilson's Phalaropes of the season, a
trio of Buff-breasted Sandpipers, a couple of heard-only Upland Sandpipers,
three Pectoral Sandpipers, and two unbanded juvenile American Oystercatchers.

I have posted to the Smith Point hawk count blog
(http://smithpointhawkwatch.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/4-september-yowzer-yowzer-yowzer/)
 with more details for your perusing pleasure.  Enjoy!

Tony

Tony Leukering
Smith Point, TX

http://smithpointhawkwatch.wordpress.com/