[texbirds] GCBO Smith Point hawk count, 30 September

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 22:18:30 -0500

Hi all:
Today's count might have been good, were it not for the mid-day storm that
caused a one-hour rain delay.  As it was, Mississippi Kites crossed East Bay
into a light S breeze in what is good numbers for so late in their season:  I
tallied 133 (all juvs).  Two Peregrines also had no qualms with the wind or
Bay, but most other raptors stayed where they were.

Both waterbird and landbird migrants were no-shows, as I scored a White Ibis
goose-egg for the first time this season.

If the current forecast holds for the weekend, ooh la la!  I hope to catch up
on the blog tomorrow, after not posting for a while due to the ID workshop this
past weekend and Internet outage at the Smith Point restaurant today.

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering
Smith Point, TX