[texbirds] GCBO Smith Point hawk count, 12 October

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 08:36:13 -0500

All:
With an hour of early rain, oft-threatening skies, and SE-S winds, Joe  Kennedy
and I did not experience much of a hawk migration event yesterday.  We did,
however, have raptors in view nearly all day, as a few Mississippi Kites and
Broad-winged Hawks coursed back and forth across our sky.

Once again, Peregrine Falcon was The Bird of the Day, as I tallied seven of
'em.  But the designation was mainly for the last one, an adult female that
followed on the heels if the 6th one (also an adult).  However, this one pulled
up in one of the snags in the East Motte and was still perched there when
Joanna, Doris, and Norma pulled into the parking lot, thus providing a great
view, before she followed the previous Peregrine across the Bay.  Finally, the
second Peregrine if the day was the 100th for the season!

There was a slight uptick in Blue-gray Gnatcatcher numbers (to 19), but other
migrants were a bit scarce.  We did hear, then see, a Long-billed Curlew head
north overhead.

Raptors counted:

Mississippi Kite - 8 (juveniles)
Northern Harrier - 1 (juvenile)
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 12
Cooper's Hawk - 5 (juveniles)
Broad-winged Hawk - 17
American Kestrel - 3 (2 females, 1 unknown)
Peregrine Falcon - 7 (4 adults, 3 juveniles)
Total - 53

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering