[texbirds] GCBO Smith Point HW, 26 Sep

  • From: Tony Leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sk8inginfo@xxxxxxx, coturnicops@xxxxxxxxx, bauersteven@xxxxxxxxxxx, mpeterson33@xxxxxxxxx, ellendunnking@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 19:39:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all:

Another day of southerly wind -- southeast, today -- and another day with
Sharp-shinned Hawks crossing the Bay into the headwind.  Most interestingly, as
the wind was from roughly 130 degrees today, they were crossing East Bay to the
SE, apparently willing to give up some westerly momentum just to get across the
water!  How was the hawk flight along the coast, today?  I'd be most interested
to hear.  Mississippi Kites, too, crossed the Bay, but they required a lot more
cogitating on the matter, unlike the Sharpies, which generally came up and flew
on out across.  Again, Cooper's Hawks did not consider the conditions conducive
to onward migration and mostly stayed put, though I did see, like yesterday,
one head across the Bay.

'Twas another day with very few landbirds, though marginally better than
yesterday.  I mean, I more than tripled yesterday's Blue-gray Gnatcatcher count
-- all the way to ELEVEN!  Woo-hoo!  No flycatchers of any stripe, not even a
Scissor-tail.  The dragonfly show also seems to be on hiatus with these
southerly winds; I saw probably <100 of 'em today.  The hummer show continues
quite well at the tower's feeders.

Raptors counted:

Mississippi Kites 30 (all juvs)
Northern Harrier 17 (1 adult male, the rest juvs or unkown; yesterday's count
was 18, not a bad two days for that species)
Sharp-shinned Hawk 258
Cooper's Hawk 20
Broad-winged Hawk 63
Red-tailed Hawk 1 adult (different from the adult that has been present a while
still growing some secondaries)
American Kestrel 31
Peregrine Falcon 2 (1 adult, 1 unknown)

I also saw a Merlin late in the day chasing stuff around like a madman, as the
species is wont to do.  Perhaps I'll get to count it tomorrow.

Bird of the Day:  There wasn't much of a competition, as I didn't want to use
the Sharpie flight again, so I guess honors will go to the adult Swallow-tailed
Kite that put in a brief appearance heading east in front of the tower at 4:23
pm.  Since there was a largish flock of juvenile Mississippi Kites that balked
at the water crossing late in the afternoon, I assume that I'll see both the
STKI and the MIKIs in the morning.

Enjoy,

Tony

Tony Leukering