[texbirds] GCBO Smith Point HW, 13 Oct

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tamie Bulow <Tamie.Bulow@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Tom Reed <coturnicops@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 16:05:58 -0500

Hi all:

Well, there are definite limits to how 'off' off winds can be and still have
raptors moving through Smith Point, and I definitely found them today!
Apparently, south winds gusting to nearly 30 kph does the trick.  Thanks to the
couple from Colorado via Texas that allowed me to get up on my hawkwatch
soapbox/hobby horse, and thus pass a bit of slow time.

Bird of the Day:  despite the very light flight today, the juv dark
White-tailed Hawk that made an appearance around mid-day made the day fairly
bright.  Of course, it could have come closer. Much closer.  Honorable Mention
goes to the juv Peregrine that played tag with the TVs in the AM and in the
mid-afternoon chased off another juvenile Peregrine that had the gall to perch
in its dead trees to my east.  Man, what a noise that interloper emitted!
Then, perhaps because her adrenaline-equivalent was up, she went swooping
around in front of the tower scaring the bejeezus out of a couple of
Scissor-taileds.  Once she took herself off to points a bit east, the
flycatchers bolted to the west!

Landbirds?  What landbirds?  Three Scissor-taileds, five B-g Gnats, and an
Indigo Bunting make for an underwhelming showing.  But, I did manage to see
nine hummers at once.

Raptors counted (count conducted by Gulf Coast Bird Observatory):

Northern Harrier 2 (1 ad male, 1 juv, prob female)
Sharp-shinned Hawk 9 juvs
White-tailed Hawk 1
American Kestrel 14 (9m, 4f, 1u)
Merlin 1