[texbirds] Re: Fwd: [eBird Alert] Carter County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

  • From: "Steve Gast" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("segast23")
  • To: foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 21:19:58 -0500

Higher breeding success percentages in areas of abundant untapped resources coupled with a nomadic gene in a peripheral sub population to the original?

Steve GastHouston TX

On Jun 22, 2022, at 5:32 PM, Jennifer Miller <foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was shocked to see the report from Lake McClellan. Unless apple snails have spread just as quickly, I would love to know what they are eating. They were restricted to FL for so long that I would also love to know what’s driving this expansion. They can still be tricky to find in FL so I don’t feel like overpopulation there is the answer.
Fingers crossed that Lubbock is next! :)

Jennifer

Jennifer MillerLubbock, TX
(o,o) /)_)  " "Email: foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx
Blog: https://foundnature.weebly.com/
On Jun 22, 2022, at 2:14 PM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have never seen a species spread so fast in Texas as the Limpkins (excepting Collared-Dove, Starlings, and maybe Cattle Egrets).  I would the critical drought Mexico and CA are doing to drive these sedentary birds blindly northward....Healton Lake is just southwest of our old family ranch.  As a kid I spend endless hours fishing and birding that then "mudhole".  I would never expect this rarity there.  I am glad Don found it.  He has sure paid his dues for Carter Co.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 10:41 AM Jennifer Miller <foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One appears to have been found east of Amarillo yesterday!
https://ebird.org/checklist/S113484224?fbclid=IwAR2QOTGAOZsbm2qqCcTapU58IBY2xMvdWnWK5QEpvIJvVCTQf1kBFHeeEuo

Jennifer MillerLubbock, TX
(o,o) /)_)  " "Email: foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx
Blog: https://foundnature.weebly.com/
On Jun 22, 2022, at 12:33 AM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

WTH
On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 11:21 PM <ebird-alert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
*** Species Summary:

- Greater Scaup (1 report)
- Limpkin (Speckled) (2 reports)
- Limpkin (1 report)

Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) (2)
- Reported Jun 16, 2022 07:08 by Don Pearson
- Parking area at entrance to lake, Carter, Oklahoma
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.245361,-97.462826&ll=34.245361,-97.462826
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "First found with a flock of Canada geese, geese move up on land and scaup move out in lake , first with binoculars then got scope out , watched for several minutes, very flat head , larger bill with decent size nail, ."

Limpkin (Speckled) (Aramus guarauna [pictus Group]) (1)
- Reported Jun 18, 2022 20:47 by Don Pearson
- Heraldton City Lake, Carter, Oklahoma
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.2406093,-97.4519358&ll=34.2406093,-97.4519358
- Comments: "Continuing bird photo to come"

Limpkin (Speckled) (Aramus guarauna [pictus Group]) (1)
- Reported Jun 18, 2022 08:43 by Don Pearson
- Limpkin, Carter, Oklahoma
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.247556,-97.446052&ll=34.247556,-97.446052
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Feeding along the shore on muscle"

Limpkin (Aramus guarauna) (1)
- Reported Jun 18, 2022 12:20 by Bob Ellis
- Mayham Rd, Healdton US-OK 34.24763, -97.44617, Carter, Oklahoma
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.247626,-97.446173&ll=34.247626,-97.446173
- Comments: "Previously seen by Don Pearson. Large long legged wader with large spots and slightly down curved bill. Initially seen along the shore but then it wadded through the grass and into the tree line where it was very well camouflaged."

Brush Freeman
Utley & Cedar Park, Texas

--

Brush Freeman