[texbirds] Fwd: White-cheeked Pintail

  • From: "Mary Gustafson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "live4birds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 13:36:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Brent is having trouble posting directly to TEXBIRDS so I am forwarding this
for him.

Please RSVP to BRENT at brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Mary Gustafson
Mission, Texas

A White-cheeked Pintail was found on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
Mad Island Wildlife Management Area on Saturday, 26 April, during the spring
Texas Ornithological Society meeting.  I will lead a tour to try to relocate
the bird starting at 8 a.m. on Saturday, 3 May.

People who plan to attend need to RSVP me by noon on Friday, 2 May, by email.
Do not make a reservation unless you will attend  and will be on time because I
likely will place a limit on the number of people on this tour.  The gate of
the wildlife management area will be locked after the tour group enters.

Wildlife Management Areas on the Texas Coast do not have many staff and as a
result most are not open for public visitation unless there is a scheduled
event.  Access to the Mad Island Wildlife Management Area is further restricted
in that it has to pass through The Nature Conservancy Mad Island Marsh property
and their gate is normally locked because of busy work loads of staff.

Directions to the wildlife management area are as follows:  From Bay City take
Highway 35 west 12 miles to the intersection with FM 1095. Take FM 1095 south
approximately 13 miles to Brazos Tower Road (note brown Mad Island WMA sign).
Turn left on Brazos Tower Road and travel two miles to Franzen Road (gravel;
note brown WMA sign). Turn left on Franzen Road and follow the signs to the
east end of the gravel road.

An effort will be made to try and re-locate the White-cheeked Pintail before
the tour.

Brent Ortego
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department