[texbirds] Fwd: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Suspends Operations Due to Federal Government Lapse in Appropriations

  • From: Mary Gustafson <live4birds@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 12:29:55 -0400 (EDT)

FYI, from a FWS list serv.

Mary Gustafson, Mission TX
*U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Suspends Operations Due to Federal Government
Lapse in Appropriations*

Because of the shutdown of the federal government caused by the lapse in
appropriations, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will suspend most programs
and operations, including public access to all National Wildlife Refuges and
all activities on refuge lands including hunting and fishing.

“Closing off public access to our national wildlife refuges and public lands
is the last thing we want to do, but is consistent with operations called for
during a government shutdown” said Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service Dan Ashe. “This is difficult news for the families, birdwatchers,
hunters and anglers, and recreationists who enjoy the great outdoors on the
refuges – as well as for the many local businesses who depend on the tourism
and outdoor recreation economy they generate.  I think it’s most difficult
for the thousands of furloughed Service employees who are impacted in carrying
out their mission to protect our nation’s resources and providing for their
families.”

Main impacts to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service from the lapse in
appropriated funding include:

•         All 561 National wildlife refuges are closed to public access.
Visitor centers and other buildings are closed.

•         The National Wildlife Refuge System hosts more than 46.5 million
people per year, and generates more than $342 million in local, county, state
and federal tax income.  Refuges also support more than 35,000 private-sector
jobs.

•         All activities on federal lands and in public buildings are
canceled.  This includes hunting and fishing activities on refuge lands.

•         No permitting work or consultations will occur with respect to
the Endangered Species Act, Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, the
Convention on Trade in Endangered Species, the Lacey Act or the National
Environmental Policy Act.

•         The shutdown will affect more than 7,000 Service employees, who
are furloughed until an appropriation is passed.

•         Employees and others may not volunteer their services on behalf
of Service functions or on federal lands.

Services and programs that will remain operational fall into the following
exempted categories:

•         Programs financed by sources other than annual appropriations.

•         Activities expressly authorized by law.

•         Activities necessary to protect life and property.

•         Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration and Sport Fish Restoration.

•         Natural Resource Damage Assessment Fund activities

•         Refuge Law Enforcement emergency operations

•         Firefighting emergency operations

•         Care and feeding activities at hatcheries and captive breeding
facilities.

Because the website will not be maintained, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
website will be down for the duration of the shutdown.  Additional information
will be available at www.DOI.gov/shutdown as well as at OPM.gov, which will
contain information about the government’s operating status on Tuesday,
Oct.1, 2013, and the days following.

*The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to
conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants, and their habitats for
the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a leader and trusted
partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for our scientific excellence,
stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated professionals, and
commitment to public service. For more information on our work and the people
who make it happen, visit **
www.fws.gov* <http://www.fws.gov/>*. Connect with our **Facebook
page*<http://www.facebook.com/usfws>
*, follow our **tweets* <http://www.twitter.com/usfwshq>*, watch our **YouTube