[texbirds] Fwd: [SATXbirds] "Western" complex Flycatcher, Crescent Bend

  • From: doefamily@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 16:48:21 -0500 (EST)

This morning, I found a "Western" complex (Pacific-slope/Cordilleran)
Flycatcher at Crescent Bend Nature Park., Bexar County. The bird was seen
repeatedly in the open grove of trees along Lyndon Dr, from about 1/2 way
between the rest rooms and Omar Drive, south to almost where the old gravel
road enters from the east. Although I saw the bird on 2 different occassions
and was able to follow it for several minutes, it was very active and could not
be refound after 10:00 AM (I stayed until about 12:30). I was unable to get
photos.

A little history on this bird: On 18 Nov, there was a SAAS field trip to
Crescent Bend. The report of birds sighted included a "Least Flycatcher" , but
the description provided mentioned a "tear-shaped" eye-ring. This is not a
field mark one would report unless it was well seen and obvious, but it is not
a mark usually associated with Least Flycatcher. The usual species associated
with a "tear-shaped" eye-ring are the "Western" complex
(Pacific-slope/Cordilleran), although other species (Hammond's, some
Yellow-bellied) may have eye-rings which are somewhat expanded behind the eye.
I contacted the field trip leader privately, and after consulting reference
books, she agreed that the bird seen most resembled Cordilleran, and changed
the report from "Least Flycatcher" to "Empidonax species". The sighting of this
bird took place on the trail south of the parking lot, near where the two
trails come together.

I ran into the trip leader at Crescent Bend this morning and she told the
flycatcher was still present and showed me where she had seen it this morning.
After about an hour of searching, I found the bird and got good looks,
confirming, in my mind, that it was indeed a "Western" complex Flycatcher.
After several minutes, I lost the bird, but refound it several minutes later
about 100 yards away, still on Lyndon Dr. After observing it for a few more
minutes the bird disappeared and was not seen again. When seen, the bird stayed
in the low to mid levels of the trees, usually in the open areas under the tree
canopy, not out on the branch tips.

than Eastern Phoebe. Bird appeared big headed and relatively long tailed. Head
had a slight crest in the back, giving a "square" headed look. Prominant
eyering, off-white, appeared to narrow completely above eye and expand behind
the eye, giving a "tear" look. Underside of the lower mandible appeared
relatively broad and long, not as massive as in Acadian Flycatcher, but a large
bill. The lower mandible color was bright orangeish yellow, with no dark tip.

Upper parts were olive green to dull green. Wings were a dark smoky gray, not
black, with 2 prominant off-white to pale yellow wingbars. Primary extension
appeared moderate, not distinctly short as in Gray Flycatcher, nor long as in
Acadian. Underparts were a dirty or dingy yellow from the throat all the way
through the undertail coverts, with a slight gray cast to the yellow on the
flanks (flanks slightly darker or "dingier" than the center of the
breast/belly). Tail was dark gray or black, appeared darker than wings, and was
slightly forked.

Voice: I heard the bird call twice when I could distinctly associate the sound
with the bird. In both cases, the bird was facing away from me when it called.
What I heard was a high, thin "whit", but it was a little more drawn out and
not as hard and dry as the "Whit" call of Least Flycatcher. Perhaps "wheat" is
a better representation of the call I heard.

Discussion: The old "Western Flycatcher" was split in the 1980's into 2
species: Pacific-slope Flycatcher and Cordilleran Flycatcher. The 2 species are
virtually indistinguishable in the field except by voice. Although there seems
to be some average differences in song between the species, some field guides
and references do not believe the species can be reliably separated by song.
Females of both species give identical contact calls, often represented as
"tseet". Most guides and references state that the species can only be
differentiated in the field by the contact  (position) call of the male: a
single syllable, slurred, rising inflection "peweat" or "pseeyeap" for
Pacific-Slope Flycatcher, and a distinctly 2 syllable "pit-peet" for
Cordilleran.

There are a few reports/records for Cordilleran Flycatcher in Bexar County,
none that I know of for Pacific-Slope. Given the breeding and wintering grounds
for the 2 species, Cordilleran would be by far the more expected to occur,
either as a migrant from the Rocky Mountains, or as a migrant from populations
in Mexico. I am confident that the bird I saw was a "Western" complex
Flycatcher, probably a female ( I believe the "wheat" call I heard may be the
"tseet" call). For my own purposes, I am identifying  and reporting it as a
Cordilleran, as that would seem to be the most likely, but with the
understanding that this individual probably cannot be assigned to species.

If you go looking for and find this bird, pay particular attention to the exact
size and shape of the bill (lower mandible as seen from below), If my
interpretation of the size and shape is not correct, there are other species to
consider. Also pay particular attention to any vocalizations. Photographs of
the bird, particularly from below, would help document the occurrence: whatever
specie it is, it is rare in the county.

Bob Doe
Spring Branch

__._,_.___

                          Reply to sender

                          Reply to group

            Start a New Topic

                            Messages in this topic                (1)

      RECENT ACTIVITY:

    Visit Your Group

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send us
Feedback

.