[texbirds] Re: Fwd: Re: Re: Cerulean?

  • From: Ervin Fleming <endersgt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx" <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 12:31:34 +0000 (UTC)

A delightful thread that I had considered starting myself after a couple of
recent experiences.
First, any advanced birders who consider themselves an ambassador to the hobby
need not read any further. You are many and the budding hobbyists appreciate
your help. The numbers of enthusiasts would be greatly diminished without your
help.But.............There is a reason for the birder stereotype.  Every hobby
has them but from a lifetime of contact with advanced hobbyists in other
disciplines, the %ages are noticeably higher among birders.I recently returned
from a trip to Goose Island (helpfully recommended by folks from this
site).Great experience and many beautiful birds to image. However, I accidently
stepped into the realm of Zeus at one point. My part of the visit began with,
"Anything interesting?" which was followed by the reply, "Yes."  and then the
conversation took off as though the question hadn't been asked.I have been an
ambassador to my hobby for 50 years. As a degreed Astronomer, I have been
asked  many times about UFO's and I am always ready with a story or two of my
experiences that make them feel comfortable about asking the obvious.After
reading the Lincoln quote proffered by a birder on this thread, I thought of
the people who own pickups and are harassed by their renter friends to help
them move. I would recommend a parallel t-shirt for the elitist birder which
states "Yes I'm a birder. No I wont identify your sparrow."
Tom FlemingGrand Prairie

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:50 AM, Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Well, far be it for me to want to upset 'some' people. Fortunately there
are a dew on txbirds that aren't so sensitive.

From:     Clayton Leopold <passerinaciris12@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     sueorwig@xxxxxxxxx
CC:     Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm not a professional but a lot of people get upset when new/non
birders post really bad identifications. No offense but the acadain to
cerulean was pretty bad. But hey we all have to start somewhere, and I
have made terrible calls in my short birding career. Don't let the mean
and pushy birders ruin a fun hobby. Like I said you can always email me
for any help.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Susan Orwig <sueorwig@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sueorwig@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    No, not a Cerulean.  Probably Acadian FC.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EPQieP25mJM/VS2QkHcWFhI/AAAAAAAAGAM/yjIO00wLwX4/s800/IMG_1511.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7UNouCSZhnc/VS2QkLG1raI/AAAAAAAAGAQ/2vWEX9XRVgQ/s800/IMG_1512.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FVaZhZWg6eU/VS2Qsj56VZI/AAAAAAAAGAg/518GRymCgpc/s800/IMG_1504.jpg

    > --
    > Monte  Texas City
    > https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips
    > “You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they
    could and
    > should do for themselves.”
    > by Abraham Lincoln

    > Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
    permission

    Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
    permission

Clayton & Linsey Leopold
Texas City