[texbirds] Re: Fw: plovers have abandoned Mustang Island beach in Port Aransas area

  • From: Cecilia-home <criley02@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cooksey@xxxxxxxxxx" <cooksey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:43:30 -0600

Though I have not studied the effects of beach raking/scraping on plovers I can
confirm that there are ample plovers (Piping, Snowy and Black-bellied) in the
Port A area. I participated in their CBC on Monday and our boat teams found
hundreds of each of these species on the bay shores. The tides have been low
and there are scads of exposed shorelines, evidently filled with the food these
birds love. Unfortunately most all of these areas are only accessible by boat.

Life is better with birds!
Cecilia M Riley
GCBO, Lake Jackson, TX
Sent from my iPad