[texbirds] Fw: eBird Report - Port Aransas, Texas souythwest, Apr 11, 2014

  • From: <jkessler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 13:25:23 -0500

Unusual bird for the Port Aransas area.

Port Aransas, Texas, Nueces, US-TX
Apr 11, 2014 11:20 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Stationary
1 species

Upland Sandpiper  1     We observed this bird at close enough range that we
did not need binoculars to identify it.  It was foraging by itself in a
field by  the road.  Distinguishing characteristics were:  long yellow legs,
a thin neck, long tail and wings, a short, straight yellow bill with a dark
tip.  Since this species is not expected to be in this area, we asked Nan
Dietert, the local birding expert about it, and she said that she and many
other birders have observed several Upland Sandpipers in  the area this
spring.  It was located in a field bordering the first road that leads to
the beach after the road to Beach Access A, where the stoplight is on the
west end of Hwy. 361

View this checklist online at