[texbirds] Fw: Santa Margarita Ranch

  • From: "Alan Wormington" <wormington@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: TX-BUTTERFLY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 19:06:05 GMT

During the past several years I made several visits to Santa Margarita Ranch.
Strangely, the woman who came out to collect the nominal fee told me that I was
about the only birder to visit the place during that time!  She always
remembered me, since she thought it was odd that a Canadian would be making so
many appearances.  And she thought I was truly insane the time that I went
walking along the trails after sunset and into the night (hoping for Mottled
Owl, of course!).

It truly is a shame that this ranch is now closed, as it was one of my
favourite birding locations in Texas.  Perhaps this might be a great
opportunity for some conservation group and/or government agency to buy it up
for permanent protection.

Alan Wormington
Leamington, Ontario

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I spoke to the owner. He said the ranch is no longer open to the public.
Concerns about smuggling and violence were the reason for the decision to
close the ranch.

Berry Nall
leps.thenalls.net