[texbirds] Fw: North American Birds, Audubon Field Notes, Field Notes and American Birds. Historical issues

  • From: "Alan Wormington" <wormington@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 00:23:09 GMT

Just a head's up on SORA. It is an extremely powerful and useful database that
anyone can access. For example type in a favourite location in the search
feature and any/every article that has ever mentioned the place --- back to the
Ice Age -- will be listed. Or type in your favourite species.  Or author. I've
done it for "Point Pelee" and its a goldmine of historical info at your
fingertips.  A heck of lot easier than flipping through dusty old copies in a
dark library! Alan     ---------- Forwarded Message ----------
From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] North American Birds, Audubon Field Notes, Field Notes and
American Birds. Historical issues
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:55:14 -0500
**
 Many replies requesting the cited Hurricane Debra issue Oct. 1959.  Seems
all but a few have problems pulling this up...Well to be honest I do not
use Sora for these having almost 65 years (with some glaring gaps)   But do
have a PDF of the seasonal report mentioned.   I can send if you are really
into this.  Since I have the hardcopies I am not well up on searching SORA
for these articles pertianing to Texas, but know a couple of folks that
have scanned in everything relative to Texas, but I am sure they would not
appreciate my disclosing who they are :-)
 From what I gather one has to go into SORA http://sora.unm.edu/ then go
to the left sidebar to North American Birds http://sora.unm.edu/node/209.
and this will get you back to 1973....I have failed to find anything
previous to that date but have spent little time with it.  If there is a
particular item you wish, I can look it up but please don't swamp me with
"just curious about" prior to that date as I would have to pull down a
hardcopy for now until someone tells me about how to get to previous online
scans.  I am happy to send the PDF on the single issue/report I cited on
Hurricane Debra 1959, one of the first instances where domething like storm
chasers seem apparant (not to mention mention of some of the first
Starlings to breed in S. Texas,)
I am still lacking in some old 40-50's issues and a few 60's issues as well
so please don't toss your collection.  At some point I hope to have a near
complete set to donate to someone like the GCBO where it would be available
not just for Texas but also NE Mexico, Okla, NM, and Okla and the rest of
the US.  By that time I likely will have a lot of paper to sadly recycle
tho as this is not a small library..

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/