[texbirds] Frontera Audubon - Wednesday May 21st

  • From: Erik Breden <erik.breden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 12:35:33 -0500

TexBirders,

I spent a few hours this morning (Wednesday May 21st) at Frontera
Audubon in Weslaco with Mary Gustafson looking for the previously
reported Crimson-collared Grosbeak. We did not find it, although Mary
thought she heard it once near the west entrance.

We did have a very cooperative Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet in the
old orchard, a photogenic Yellow-crowned Night-Heron in one of the
ponds, and a nice Zebra Heliconian butterfly, plus the other expected
birds. The surprise bird of the day was an Eastern Screech-Owl
(apparently out hunting - feeding young?) which briefly flew around
us, chased by Black-crested Titmice, near the Sabal Palm grove.

A few photos are up at:

www.otterside.com/spring2014

Enjoy!

Erik Breden