[texbirds] Re: Frontera Audubon Thicket, 5/11/12

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: antshrike1@xxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 17:07:42 -0400 (EDT)

Dan's post reminded me that I also had an interesting Catharus thrush at
Frontera Saturday:  my gut thought was Veery, but it just looked  strange.
Pictures are on the previously-referenced trip report for May  12th (or you
can access it through the website below and follow the Big Year  links).
Feedback welcome!

MB

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)

In a message dated 5/11/2012 1:46:24 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
antshrike1@xxxxxxx writes:

I got up this morning after last  night's storm and racked up ten species
of warblers and a Black-billed Cuckoo  in my Weslaco yard before even putting
my shoes on.  So I headed over to  Frontera Audubon Thicket where migrants
were the most abundant I've seen in  several years.  Not a lot of diversity,
only 14 species of warblers, but  lots of birds.  It was a good day to
practice empid IDs.  Best bird  was a singing Bell's Vireo.

Frontera  Audubon Center, Hidalgo, US-TX
May 11, 2012 9:45 AM - 12:45 PM
 Protocol: Traveling
 1.5 mile(s)
 64 species (+2 other taxa)

 Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  3
 Plain Chachalaca  10
 Green Heron  2
 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  1
 Turkey Vulture  15
 White-tailed Kite  1
 Mississippi Kite  1
 Gray Hawk  1
 White-winged Dove  10
 Inca Dove  2
 White-tipped Dove  4
 Green Parakeet  2
 Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
 Groove-billed Ani  1
 Black-chinned Hummingbird  1
 Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  2
 Buff-bellied Hummingbird  5
 Golden-fronted Woodpecker  4
 Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet  2
 Olive-sided Flycatcher  1