[texbirds] Re: Frigatebird at Joe Pool Lake,near Arlington

  • From: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lwbdr@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 09:44:56 -0500

I thought I would alter the subject line to perhaps get some more
attention on this bird.  With no storm activity in the gulf, it is
quite unusual to have a frigatebird so far inland.  A Magnificent is
certainly a safe assumption but given the problems with frigatebird
ID, particularly immatures, I would say that other frigatebirds are
certainly possible.  As an example, Oklahoma has a record of a rather
lost Great Frigatebird I believe.  It might be worthwhile for folks in
the area to see if this bird can be refound (and perhaps photo'ed),
even if it is only a Magnificent.

--
Eric Carpenter
Austin