[texbirds] Freeport CBC - Sunday, Dec, 15 - resend

  • From: Robert White <glqman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:14:18 -0700 (PDT)

I forgot to include my signature.
The World Famous Freeport Christmas Bird Count takes place on Sunday, December
15th. I am seeking assistants to help count the birds at Brazoria National
Wildlife Refuge and adjacent private property.

This is your opportunity to visit areas of the refuge that are not generally
open to the public. I have also secured permission to access the adjacent
private property which has produced excellent passerines in recent years. Some
of the rarities seen in this area of the Freeport count in past years include
Green Towhee, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Groove-billed Ani, Short-eared Owl and
Warbling Vireo. We'll meet at 7:00 AM at the visitor center. There are more
areas to cover in the afternoon if you want to stay, but some people only do a
half day. Everyone who participates is invited to the countdown dinner Sunday
evening. Let anyone else who might be interested know about it.

There are options to bird from your car or a bicycle, walk, or even kayak or
canoe. Yes, some areas are only accessible from the water. I particularly need
a couple of people who are willing to walk through the adjacent woods for three
hours or so in the morning to get passerines. If you’re a photographer, there
will be plenty of opportunities.

Last year we identified 144 species within this portion of the count circle.
In 2011 we had 135.

Brazoria NWR: From the intersection of Highway 288 and FM 523 in Angleton, take
FM 523 to Highway 2004 intersection. Continue on 523 for 5.5 miles to County
Road 227. Turn left on CR 227 and proceed 1.7 miles to the refuge entrance. The
visitor center at which we meet is about three miles beyond the gate.

Please e-mail me if you're planning on coming so I'll know to look for you. And
anyone who wants to meet me at the front gate at 5:30 AM to look for owls is
certainly welcome.

-Bob White
 Spring, TX
 (281)455-4254