[texbirds] Forster’s now and January ‘invasion’ of Common Terns on UTC

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 21:03:17 -0500 (EST)

Common Terns are very rare find during January on Texas shore. Somehow
according to eBird data we are extremely lucky this January. Many COTEs decided
 to spent winter around Bays, east and south from Houston (no reports from
other  parts of Texas). When the rest of country (except Central Florida
with   COTEs well documented in photos) and rest of the Texas have zip, zilch,
zero,  nil, nada; here around the Houston area we have plenty: up to 20-25
per day in  one spot. BTW when you look at eBird even the rest of the world
has very few  records this month so far.

_http://ebird.org/ebird/map/comter?bmo&emo&byr 13&eyr
13&env.minX-95.872&env.minY(.826&env.maxX=-94.373&env.maxY).602&gp=true_
(http://ebird.org/ebird/map/comter?bmo&emo&byr 13&eyr 13&env.minX=-95.872&en
v.minY(.826&env.maxX=-94.373&env.maxY).602&gp=true)

Because Texas COTE records in January are of quite important value perhaps
we should try to take photo when we see one (and especially when we see
large  flocks, and Sandwich Tern as well) to be sure that nobody will try to
question  this data later. Everybody is snapping photos of a Tropical
Mockingbird and any  other vagrant even if we do not know for sure how these
birds
got here but, I  think, many people think that terns are so common so why
bother, Yes, they are  common but not during this time of the year. To some, me
included, these winter  tern records are more interesting than one of lost
or escaped birds (sure those  are interesting too) and it would be great to
have these winter records well  documented. Perhaps in times when almost
everybody has camera the eBird  reviewers should insist to have photos included
with record when accepting  records of some winter terns. They do that for
vagrants (like the rare bird  committee) so why not for birds that most
likely shouldn’t be here now. We say  that we want to track climate changes -
these kind of records might turn to be a  great indicators - when properly
documented, or we will have problem to separate  the wheat from the chaff in
the future.

At the end I want to include photo showing how few Forster’s Terns can
look now. Some are already molting head feathers and acquiring solid black cap
so seeing one with ‘black nape’ doesn’t mean this is a Common. Also
lighting and  angle can sometimes make illusion of dark carpal bar so checking
all
field marks  can be important and necessary for the correct ID.

So here are examples of FOTE head patterns that one can see during
mid-January on UTC (note that bill coloration is also changing)

_http://www.pbase.com/image/148393042_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/148393042)

BTW a few Laughing Gulls already have almost black hoods as well - perhaps
spring is not that far away, I wish.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_